To keep your jewelry looking as good as new, it’s important that you follow the care instructions appropriate for the material your jewelry is made from. COLLECTIV jewelry is currently available in materials including sterling silver 925, stainless steel 316L, nylon, matte black stainless steel and titanium. Recommended jewelry care is based on the materials used in production.
You take pride in your jewelry and want to show it off. Whether you wear your pieces every day or save them for special occasions, you might notice that eventually, your jewelry has lost some of its brilliance.
Luckily, you can restore your pieces to their original shine and sparkle. From cleaning and storing your jewelry at home to taking it with you while traveling, we know you care about your rings, necklaces, earrings and bracelets.
Follow our jewelry care tips below to find out the best ways to maintain your most exquisite pieces.
Easy ways to keep your jewelry at its shiny best:
- Remove jewelry when bathing, exercising, or cleaning. Always avoid excess moisture, and remember to store your pieces properly in an airtight container when you aren't wearing them.
- It is normal for metal to oxidize (or change color) with time and exposure to the elements, but contact with liquid or other substances can expedite this process.
Gemstones: Gems other than pure diamonds require a little extra care. Some may react with ammonia, so it is best to use mild dish soap or take them to a professional. Treat opals as you would pearls since they are also a softer gem. Gently clean with mild dish soap and a soft brush. All of our gemstones are high-quality natural, mineral stones that can be delicate and broken if not cared for correctly.
GOLD VERMEIL AND PLATING
Platinum: Like pure gold, this material will not tarnish. Platinum can still scratch, though it will not wear down over time. Treat this metal with soap and water, and take it to a professional for polishing if you would like your article to have its original shine. Rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer should be avoided, they should only be cleaned gently with warm soap and water.
Wipe with a soft cotton cloth. Avoid exposure to moisture. Pearls are very soft and can be subject to scratching. We highly recommend putting on pearls after applying hairspray, perfume, or other cosmetics, as they are especially sensitive to chemical contact.
All Collectiv fashion jewelry is traditionally crafted and therefore very delicate. The metal is plated, and each crystal is individually set. As a result, special care is required. Please follow the advice below.
- Store your jewelry in the original packaging or a soft pouch to avoid scratches.
- Polish your jewelry frequently with a soft cloth to maintain its original, lustrous finish.
- Remove jewelry before washing hands, swimming, and/or applying products (e.g. perfume, hairspray, soap, or lotion) as this could harm the metal and cause discoloration and loss of crystal brilliance.
- Put on jewelry last when dressing and take off first when undressing.
- Avoid contact with water.
- Avoid hard contact (i.e. knocking against objects) that can scratch or chip the crystal.
STERLING SILVER JEWELRY
Chosen for its strength and beauty, sterling silver can give you a lifetime of gleam, or cultivate a lovely patina all on its own. To retain the original shine and luster of your sterling silver jewelry, it must be properly stored and cleaned.
Silver: Use a jewelry cleaning cloth to rub the piece gently, rinsing with warm water after. Follow that with a liquid cleaner specifically for silver if your items have excessive tarnishing. Be sure to dry silver diligently as leaving it wet can cause tarnishing.
The most commonly used metal to make up the remaining content of a sterling silver mix. The addition of copper makes the silver harder, but also means the silver will tarnish more easily. Tarnish develops over time and starts as a yellow tinge and eventually, a black residue on the surface of the silver.
To prevent the natural tarnishing process, we recommend you store your sterling silver jewelry in tarnish-resistant cloths or bags, which slow down tarnishing. Keep your sterling silver jewelry in a cool, dry place and separate from other jewelry which could cause scratches. We recommend you clean your jewelry using polishing cloths that are specially formulated for sterling silver jewelry.
The nylon material used in COLLECTIV pieces is heat proof up to 80ºC / 176ºF degrees Higher temperatures may significantly change material properties. The red and black nylon pieces are dyed so we recommended avoiding long exposure to strong sunlight as the color might fade.
Though the nylon material is quite strong and can be bent, we suggest handling your nylon jewelry with care, as you would with any other jewelry.
STAINLESS STEEL JEWELRY
Select Lumitoro pieces are available in stainless steel with bronze infusion and matte black stainless steel.
Though we use bronze-infused stainless steel, it remains resistant to tarnishing due to a special coating that is applied. Stainless steel jewelry doesn’t scratch easily but it is prone to scratching. Therefore, we recommend storing stainless steel jewelry separately, e.g., do not store earrings together.
You have several options when it comes to cleaning your stainless steel jewelry. Always clean with the grain vs. in a circular motion.
- To clean with detergent, mix some hand or dish soap with warm water, soak your jewelry for a few minutes, and use a soft brush to scrub. Rinse clean and dry with a microfiber cloth.
- For deeper cleaning, use 'plain' whitening toothpaste, and a soft cloth. And again, follow the grain of your piece.
- Use a stainless steel cleaner or a jewelry cloth and gently wipe your piece.
- Take it to a professional.
Hope this helped you at least a little. Enjoy COLLECTIV jewelry, and don't forget to take care of it.
Copyright © 2023. Collectiv | Handmade Jewlery store, All rights reserved